Permits and Development

To apply for permits online or search an existing permit, please click the picture below.

building-permit-icon-line-vector bl

The Community Development Department is responsible for coordinating land and building development throughout the City. In partnership with other City departments, Community Development helps homeowners, business owners, and those in the development industry plan and execute development projects. 

Please visit the Permits and Development Documents page for forms. 
Submit all permits to the following email:

Do you need a Permit?

No permits are needed for the following; however, they are still required to meet the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance and International Building Code. These exclusions only pertain to residential permits. All other zonings must contact the Community Development Department.

Residential home remodel (roof, siding, fixtures, and/or doors and windows) will require a building permit. If you are unsure if your project requires a permit, please contact Community Development as there are fees for work without a permit and a stop work will be ordered.

Historic properties may be subject to review by the Historic Landmark Commission. If you do not know if your home is under the purview of the HLC, please contact the Community Development Department as a stop work will be ordered until the commission has given approval.

  • Accessory structures under 200 square feet, unless the structure will have electric, plumbing, and/or mechanical. 
  • Cabinets, counter-tops, and similar finish work
  • Construction of decks that are no more than 200 sq. ft. and does not exceed 30 in. above grade
  • Painting and papering
  • Prefabricated pools, less than 24 in. deep and temporary pools, not connected to City's water or electric
  • Replacement of plumbing and lighting fixtures
  • Replacement of siding
  • Replacement of windows and doors
  • Retaining walls less than 4 ft. in height
  • Roof repair with no structural change
  • Swings and other playground equipment 
  • Tiling and carpeting 
All accessory structures over 200 sq. ft. will be required to pull a permit.
This includes, but is not limited to:

            º Awning         º Carport       º Garage       º Greenhouse
            º Pergola        º Porch          º Shed           º Storage Building
            º Pool House